Most of us believe that for technical SEO, one should have excellent programming skills. Some funny mistakes of people who are called as techie giants may cause lower rankings for their websites. By avoiding simple mistakes and by adopting small SEO technical tactics, one can get massive traffic for his or her technical website.
- Be careful about page speed
The first thing that shows impact on your website ranking is loading speed of your webpage. Even Google confirmed that page speed matters in improving rankings of a website. Page Speed Insights Google tool evaluates your page speed and helps to reduce loading time. To improve the loading speed of mobile version of your website, you can take the support of Google new page speed tool. This tool helps to check your website speed on 3G mobile phone and assesses the mobile usability of your website.
- Name your files in lower case and place in your site’s main directory
Always name your files and save in lower case or Robots.txt. These are case sensitive. You should save these files in the main directory of your website. If the crawlers cannot find your files in the main directory, your website rankings will be lowered.
- Crawlers may get annoyed with infinite scroll
Most of the beginners believe that infinite scroll on the websites attract more visitors or crawlers. But for a good optimization for your website, you should add the series of pages to your infinite scroll which helps easy navigation and good website rankings. Always take care of the code, rel=”prev”, rel=”next” in your infinite scroll.
- Google don’t bother about your sitemap’s structure
Google don’t bother about the structure of your sitemap till it is in XML. You can plan the structure of your sitemap and category breakdown as you wish and this does not affect your website traffic.
- There is nothing to worry about noarchive tag
The Noarchive tag has nothing to do with your website rankings. It does not show any negative impact on your website traffic. This tag only hides cached pages in your website and makes them invisible on search engines.
- Google finds your homepage first
In general, Google first crawls your homepage unless there are a number of links related to the specific page. This cannot be taken as a rule but a general thing.
- Google’s weightage is different for internal and external links
Google allots different scores for third-party links of your website and link from your website when search rankings are taken into consideration.
- With Google search Console you can check your crawl budget
Google search console helps you to check your crawl budget and increase or decrease it according to your requirements. Crawl budget means the number of pages the search engine wants or crawl at a given amount of time.
- To improve your crawl budget, you can disallow pages with no SEO value
Pages which have no SEO value like privacy policies can be avoided to improve your crawl budget. You can block pages without unique content or low quality content to enhance your website rankings.
- Points to know about sitemaps
- You should encode XML sitemaps in ”UTF 8”
- Sitemaps cannot include session Ids in the URL
- The number of URLs should be less than 50,000 and not larger than 50mb
- Instead of submitting multiple sitemaps, single sitemap index file can be preferred
- Different Sitemaps can be used for different media types like videos, news, and images
- You can check the performance of your site on mobile devices
With the help of Google tools, you can assess the performance of your website on mobile devices and check the number of views for your website. You can use Google console for mobile usability for this task. Mobile- friendly test can also be tried.
- Google results are HTTPS at the most
Website traffic can be improved based on the security of the website. Half of the Google SERPs are HTTPS. Google webmaster issues warning about navigating insecure websites.
- Keep your redirect alive for at least a year
According to the representatives of Google, it takes months to recognize which websites are alive and which websites are moved. To top your website in the searches, you should keep redirects of your website unchanged at least for a year. This is recommended for security of your website also.
- Your search box in Google is controllable
Google often shows details of searches related to relevant content of your website in the search box. However you can control the content to be displayed in the search box to find relevant content for their search.
- No translate tag can be enabled to avoid viewing translated version of your website
The notranslate Meta tag is a good choice for website owners who do not want to show translated version of their websites or translate their website content in different languages. You can use this option if you are not willing to show the translated version of their website in Google or those who don’t have much trust about the ability of Google to translate their page in an effective manner.
In addition to the above tips, you can follow the following tips for good optimization of your technical website
- You can use new domains of your websites relevant to old domains to keep up the rankings and revenue of your website.
- Keep in mind that Robots.txt files do not have much impact on Google rankings of your website.
- You can get your app into Google search by using Firebase app indexing and this helps you to get the knowledge about how many viewers get through your app with relative keyword search using Google
- You can power your search box with your own search engine and you can disable the search box using the meta tag nositelinkssearchbox.
- If you want to hide your page from Google search results, you can use options like password protection but never use Robots.txt files for this.
If you are just beginning with SEO it is important that you watch out for the technicalities that are going to benefit your website. These 15 SEO technical facts would be a great start.